Monday, January 28, 2013

Spread the Word! And the Eggs...

This past week was quite eventful for Hens for Haiti and the Gros-Morne Poulaye.  I just got home from 10 days in several different parts of Haiti and only now am returning to reliable internet to explain everything that has happened! 

For two days I visited a town call Bas Limbe - about 15 minutes west of Limbe and 30-45 minutes south of Cap Haitian, the second largest city in Haiti on the north coast of the island.  I was requested to conduct an assessment for the posibility of constructing a hen house to provide eggs to the local market as well as larger Limbe and Cap Haitian clients.  I had never been to that part of the country and I was floored by its beauty.  I thought Gros-Morne was green and full of life, but Bas Limbe changed my perspective.  There was no trouble of rain in the area, trees and even GRASS were all over!  The small town was only about a 10 minute drive from the beautiful Caribbean.  I would have no problem working here... :)  My hosts seemed very excited to get started and explore the feasibility of a hen house.  We are now in the process of gathering information for market trends, determining appropriate facility construction, and developing a business plan to propose to the Catholic parish twinned with Bas Limbe in Kokomo, Indiana.  I'm exctied for this opportunity to expand the concept of local egg production!


During my absence from Gros-Morne, the Haitian Minister of Agriculture made a visit to the town and even passed through our proud Poulaye.  He was impressed with the success that we'd had and mentioned that more places should invest in similiar projects.  Guy Marie took this opportunity to discuss with the Minister our challenges with water and feed sources.  We are not holding our breath for any immediate changes, but it was nice to have acknowledgement from Haitian leaders outside of the immediate community.

1 comment: